If you want to donate to the JQAYoung House, but you are concerned about making sure your money is used responsibly, here is a little primer on how our finances are structured.
The restoration of the JQAYoung house is a joint project between:
1) The Friends of the JQAYoung House and
2) The Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District (THPRD)
The THPRD owns the house and the property and performs maintenence and administrative functions.The Friends of the JQAYoung House is a group that has been created to raise funds, apply for grants and garner community support.
The Tualatin Hills Park FOUNDATION (THPF) is an Oregon non-profit corporation created for the purpose of benefiting the Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District (THPRD). It acquires and maintains assets for the THPRD to use for its programs. This foundation houses and performs the financial functions of the JQAYoung House restoration.
When you give to the JQAyoung House, be sure you designate your donation to the JQAYoung House. Though you write your check, assign your annuity, or use your credit card to the Foundation, the Foundation keeps the money in a restricted account, to be used for the JQAYoung House only. The foundation uses Fund Accounting under General Accepted Accounting Principles for Non-profit Organizations, and resources can be set aside in separate funds. The Friends of the JQAYoung House can get regular, detail accounting of its fund, to assure donations are being used for the purposes they are intended.
There are many ways to give! And remember: This is a non-profit, which means your gift is tax deductable. Gifts can be in the form of:
1) Currency-- cold, hard cash! Slip it in the US Post with a note (designating it to the JQAYoung House) and a request for a reciept. Or bring your jar of pennies to the THPRD adminstation office (see address below) and tell them you want to donate it to the JQAYoung House.
2) Checks and money orders-- make it payable to Tualatin Hills Park Foundation (THPF). Be sure to write "For the JQAYoung House Fund" on it and slip it the US Post and mail it to:
Tualatin Hills Park Foundation
Attn: JQAYoung House
15707 SW Walker Road
Beaverton, OR 97006
3) Plastic-- Charge a donation to your MasterCard, VISA or Discover Card. Go to our website donation page at www.jqayounghouse.org/donate.html OR the Foundation website at www.thprd.org/foundation/donate.cfm. You may make a one-time donation or get on a regular giving plan. Tell us how much and how often you would like to donate, and we will set up an automatic withdrawal.
4) Planned Giving-- If you are working with a professional financial planner, accountant, attorney, or insurance agent, talk with them about what you want to do. They can tell you about the tax benefits of your gift, and help you set it up. Some of the ways you can give are: bequests in a will or living trust, a charitable remainder trust, life insurance policies, appreciated assets gifts of appreciated property (such as real estate or shares of corporate stock), or tax-free gifts from IRAs.
Thank you so much for giving!
Built in 1869 by John Quincy Adams Young, a prominent Oregon pioneer, the house became Cedar Mill’s first post office and served as a general store. It’s one of the oldest buildings in our area, and it’s going to be transformed into a community resource through the efforts of local citizens.